Sunday, July 27, 2008

Powys Castle, Welshpool, Wales

I took advantage of the beautiful weather and the fact that I now have a car and went for a lovely drive into Wales yesterday. I managed to find where Powys Castle is (actually only about 20 miles from Shrewsbury). Our family tree has been traced back to a King of Powys in the 1st century, so I thought I had better have a look at the old family house!!

I'm not sure exactly when the castle was built, but it's pretty safe to say that it was much later than the 1st century, so I am not sure what sort of title claim we could make on it!! Anyway, the inside was extremely dark and filled with the typical heavy fabrics etc, but the gardens and views were amazing.
West entrance (main public entrance). There's a peacock in the foreground. The peahen was also around with about 5 or 6 little chicks!
View of the Welsh hills from the castle. The lower castle grounds are in the foreground.

West entrance again

Looking up to the castle from one of the paths leading to the lower gardens

The castle from across the lower gardens.

2 Comments:

At 1:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks nice Alison. Hope you like your new place and car!

Dave & Shell

 
At 1:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too just traced my family line back to the same king! We will need to discuss who gets what...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home